Assistant Professor in Social Psychology (1.0 FTE)
Faculteit Gedrags- en Maatschappijwetenschappen
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
Our Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences is a center of knowledge focusing on individuals and society. We study issues relating to human behaviour, and the relationships between people and society as a whole. This includes the study of how people function under normal circumstances, but also of the problems encountered by individuals or groups, and how to resolve or prevent these. Our Faculty employs about 650 employees. For more information about the Faculty please check the link https://www.rug.nl/gmw/.
With the faculty, the Department of Psychology has an excellent scientific reputation reflected, among others, in relatively high rankings. The Social Psychology unit is a diverse and large team. Our group has a leading role in providing high quality education and outstanding research in areas including social and health behavior, group processes and inter-group relations. This research is often embedded in longstanding collaborations with external partners: we are well connected academically and collaborate with a variety of partner institutions and organizations, both public and private. As is to be expected of a strong research-oriented department, our academic focus is international, but in our applied work we distinguish ourselves by focusing on some of the most pressing issues and topics nationally and in our region. We offer teaching in Dutch and English both in the Bachelor of Psychology program and in the Master of Psychology program, where we offer the Applied Social Psychology track. We are also strongly represented in the Research Master of Behavioral and Social Science.
The Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences is looking for an Assistant Professor in Social Psychology.
The position of Assistant Professor combines teaching (currently 60%) and research (currently 40%) in the unit of Social Psychology. In teaching, the candidate is expected to teach courses in the bachelor and master programmes, which can be in English or Dutch and in a hybrid form of teaching. Furthermore, the candidate will supervise master and PhD students.
The candidate’s research consists of one or more lines of research with results and implications that have scientific interest and also broader societal relevance, for example for application in the policies or practices of governments, businesses and/or others. The candidate is expected to develop a research funding plan allowing her/him to attract external funding in the short/medium term.
- a completed PhD in the Social and Behavioral Sciences with a thorough grounding in social psychology
- good publication record
- interest in raising grants and funding, ideally with experience to do so
- experience and interest in teaching students (e.g., lecturing, supervision of bachelor and master theses)
- interest in innovative teaching methods
- relevant teaching qualifications (such as the University Teaching Qualification) or willingness to achieve this in the short term
- ability to communicate and teach in English
- ability to communicate professionally in Dutch (level B2/C1) or willingness to learn this within a reasonable period
- excellent social and communicative skills and ability to work in groups
- important competences are conceptual capacity, environment orientation, presenting and result orientation.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- depending on qualifications and work experience, a salary of € 3,974 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 6,181 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- attractive secondary and market terms of employment
- the position is classified in accordance with the University Job Classification (UFO) system; the UFO profile is Assistant Professor
- a temporary contract for a period of one year. After a positive result and development interview at the end of this year the contract will be converted into a permanent one.
Intended starting date: on or before 1st January 2023
You may apply for this position until 12 October 11:59pm / before 13 October 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. dr. Tom Postmes, Chair of Social Psychology
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222653E
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Goals | Social Psychology | University of Groningen (rug.nl) Education | Social Psychology | University of Groningen (rug.nl)