Teacher in Ancient Philosophy (0.35 FTE)
Faculty of Philosophy
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
The Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Groningen is a vibrant, international community of excellent researchers and teachers. It consistently receives the highest evaluations both for research and for teaching among philosophy departments in The Netherlands. The Faculty has three departments: History of Philosophy, Theoretical Philosophy, and Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy.
The Faculty of Philosophy is looking for a teacher with expertise in the history of ancient philosophy. Successful candidates will be expected to teach at both BA and MA level; tasks include lecturing, seminar teaching, and thesis supervision. It is important that candidates can appeal to a broad range of philosophy students. For information about the Faculty and the departments and their members, see http://www.rug.nl/filosofie/organization/
• expertise in Ancient Philosophy
• strong teaching record, appropriate to career stage, or strong affinity with teaching
• excellent command of written and spoken English; knowledge of Dutch is highly preferable but not strictly required
• intellectual drive, enthusiasm and open-mindedness
• a PhD in philosophy.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 2,846 (salary scale 10) to a maximum of € 5,230 gross per month (salary scale 11, job profile teacher/docent) for a full-time position
- excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. A fiscal facility pertaining to extraterritorial costs (the 30% facility) may be applicable if the rules of Dutch tax law permit this
- a fixed-term position (non tenure-track) for a period of maximally three years.
Starting date: 1 September 2022
We strongly encourage applications from female candidates and members of other groups currently underrepresented in academic philosophy.
The application should include the following:
1. A cover letter explaining your motivation for the position
2. CV and list of publications
3. The names and contact details of three referees and an indication of whether we can contact them at this stage
4. Teaching evaluations if available, or else a brief teaching statement.
You may apply for this position until 10 July 11:59pm / before 11 July 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Interviews will take place in June or July, in person or online.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/[…]/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Lodi Nauta, Chair of the search committee
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 222365