Research and Education Assistant in Material Engineering and Mechatronics
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage currently more than 33,500 students and researchers to develop their individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe, the top 100 universities in the world and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
Within the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE), the Engineering and Technology institute Groningen (ENTEG - https://www.rug.nl/research/enteg/) conducts engineering science research and covers a broad area of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, materials engineering, chemical engineering, biotechnology and information technology. The research unit Discrete Technology and Production Automation is focused on the dynamical modeling, analysis and systems engineering of complex electro-mechanical systems and multidisciplinary material science. The application areas include MEMS/NEMS, mechatronic and robotic systems, flexible electronics, development of sensors and actuators, as well as smart energy systems.
The research group Discrete Technology & Production Automation (DTPA) has a vacancy for a Research and Education assistant who will support both the teaching and research activities in the DTPA research group, as well as, in the educational programmes of Industrial Engineering and Management (IEM) and Mechanical Engineering (ME). This includes technical support for PhD students and postdoc staff from both research groups and supervision of both bachelor and master students from IEM and ME.
• support the general operation of the lab
• assist research performed by graduate, undergraduate students and postdocs
• perform laboratory procedures and research as part of on-going research projects
• help with the maintenance and calibration of the equipment
• develop of new (chemical and electromechanical) methods, experiments and tools
• assist the group members with projects and experiments including setting up experiments, running experiments, collecting and recording data
• act as ARMICO (work and environment contact person), responsible for chemical safety, recycle and dispose of chemical waste, safety regulations, etc.
• assist students with the right process to handle hazardous waste and chemical compounds
• responsible of purchasing lab equipment and material; ensure the inventory is always stocked and that everything is clearly and correctly labeled
• assist with student practicals in preparing equipment, specimens and samples when necessary
• support the group members with computer programmes like SolidWorks, COMSOL Multiphysics, LabVIEW and MATLAB-Simulink.
In particular, you will:
• provide instructions to Bsc and Msc students and supervise BSc students in the Industrial Engineering and Management programme
• advise and offer technical support to MSc and PhD students from DTPA
• set up of practicums and participate in teaching and lab experiments
• coordination of lab experiments for courses such as Programming, Modeling & Simulation, CAD-CAM design and additive manufacturing
• represent DTPA, IEM and ME at relevant engineering fairs, and provide support in contacts with industry.
• Masters' degree in Chemical Engineering, Material Science & Engineering, Applied Physics, or equivalent, or a Bachelors' degree in the same fields with additional relevant experience
• fluent in English and preferably Dutch
• dynamic, creative and pioneering professional attitude
• ability to work independently and with colleagues
• problem solving ability
• cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills as many tasks will be executed within a multidisciplinary team
• enjoys working with young people of several educational backgrounds.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary dependent on qualifications and work experience with a minimum of € 2,920 (salary scale 9) up to a maximum of € 4,402 gross per month (salary scale 10) for a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income an 8.3% year-end bonus
- a fulltime (1.0 FTE) contract initially for 1 year; after 1 year, an indefinite extension is possible if the outcome of the evaluation of the job performance during the Result and Development Interview is positive.
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• letter of application
• curriculum vitae.
You can submit your application until 23 November 11:59pm / before 24 November 2020 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. J.M.A. Scherpen
+31 50 3638791
Prof. M.I. Acuautla Meneses
+31 50 3636797
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220336