Copy Editor (0.6 FTE)
UKrant is the independent digital news platform for the University of Groningen. Every day, we report – in both Dutch and English – up-to-date news and background stories
on the RUG, higher education, and student life. The paper is bilingual because almost one in five students at the RUG is from abroad.
The editorial staff consists of eight professional journalists, and approximately fifteen freelancers and student editors. We are looking for a Copy Editor to join our editorial staff starting 1 May, 2019.
The copy editor is an important, final link in the journalistic chain. You are responsible for correctly publishing articles and pieces and deciding on a fitting headline and/or introduction. You fact-check the articles thoroughly, ensure they are readable, and correct typos and spelling mistakes.
You also make sure that the articles are judicially and ethically in line. You will work together with the news and magazine coordinators to make the (weekly) planning, you’ll collaborate with our designer, you will coach other editors and freelancers during the journalistic process, and you make sure deadlines are met.
You will need to be available on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
- you have a degree from a university of applied sciences or higher, preferably in journalism
- you have extensive experience in editing, are at home in the world of online journalism, and you know how to work in a multi-media environment
- you are fluent in Dutch, both verbally and in writing
- you are a hard worker, creative, stress-resistant, and a team player
- you are up to date with what’s going on in higher education in general and at the University of Groningen in particular
- proper command of the English language is an added advantage.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 12 months.Depending on qualifications and work experience, we offer a salary of a maximum of € 4,274 (salary scale 10 Dutch universities) gross per month for a full-time position. This position is defined according to the UFO function profile ‘editor 3’. The appointment is for 0.6 FTE, for the duration of one year.
You may apply for this position until 18 April 11.59pm / before 19 April 2019 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 219176E