Postdocs Philosophy (3.0 fte)
University of Groningen
Faculty of Philosophy
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative center of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 30,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of learning.
The Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Groningen is a vibrant, international community of excellent researchers and teachers. It consistently receives the highest evaluations both for research and for teaching among philosophy departments in The Netherlands. The Faculty has three departments: History of Philosophy, Theoretical Philosophy, and Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy.
The three postdocs will carry out research in the fields of:
• Theoretical Philosophy, or
• Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy, or
• History of Philosophy
(See the websites of the faculty, its departments and of the individual researchers).
They are also expected to give 1 course per year, to help organise workshops and lectures, and assist in the daily running of the department. They are expected to submit a grant application to NWO in the course of their fellowship.
• a PhD in philosophy or a related field (at least formally approval by your promotores by 30 November), in principle not before 2015 in order to be eligible for submitting a VENI grant application to the NWO; for NWO rules see http://www.nwo.nl/ (see under “Frequently Asked Questions about the Innovational Research Incentives Scheme”)
• a strong publication record (depending on career stage)
• a clear and promising research plan, fitting with the existing research profile
• an excellent command of English, both in writing and in speaking
• an intellectual drive, enthusiasm and open-mindedness
• a strong record of teaching (depending on career stage) is an advantage
• an international network or record of international collaboration is an advantage.
• knowledge of Dutch is no requirement.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 36 months.
The University of Groningen offers a salary depending on education and experience, between € 3,427 and € 4,691 gross per month for a fulltime appointment (salary scale 11 Dutch Universities). The salary will be supplemented by a holiday allowance of 8% per year and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%. All three posts are fulltime, and each will be for 3 years. The starting date is 1 April 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter. Application We strongly encourage female candidates to apply. You may apply for this position until 30 November, 23.59h / before 1 December 2016 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website). The application should include the following: • a cover letter explaining the candidate’s suitability for the position and how the applicant intends to contribute to the department’s activities, research and teaching. • a CV and list of publications • a statement describing current and future research (no more than 3 pages) • the names and contact details of three academic referees and an indication whether we can contact them at this stage • a sample of written work that is relevant to this position, not more than 8,000 words; it can be a published or unpublished sample and can be an extract from a longer piece. Please send all the material preferably in one file (ignore the option to upload several files). Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Maximum salary: 4691.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Jan Willem Romeijn, Chair Dept Theoretical Philosophy
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 216288-90
Digital application form