Head of Department
Are you a passionate and innovative culinary professional ready to lead a dynamic team and take our catering outlets to new heights? We're seeking a talented and experienced Head of Department to oversee our diverse range of catering operations and drive exceptional dining experiences for our valued guests.
Campus Catering: Food for your mood!
Campus Catering gives you a taste of the world. From a poke bowl to a traditional Dutch sandwich, from espresso pick-me-up to frothy blonde beer, our outlets are perfect for getting you fueled up. Eat, study or brainstorm: we’ll always have the right ingredients to match your taste and needs. Whatever you order, it’s fresh from the block. In fact, we tap, stir-fry, roast or prepare your order while you wait, at the bar, on location or at your event. Campus Catering: fuel for the brain and food for your mood.
Who are we looking for?
As a Head of Department you are responsible for managing a large team with a predominantly executive focus, contributing to the development and implementation of policies, products and services and providing leadership. Based on the role or roles you fulfil, you contribute as a team member to the result responsible team and the ambitions of the organization.
As head of department you will fulfil the following roles:
- Advises on the consequences of proposed policy for the implementation of work processes.
- Ensures the (further) development and coordination of processes, procedures and services in the area of attention.
- Contributes to the implementation of policy and ensures the implementation of processes, procedures and services in the field of attention.
- Ensures and directs the departments activity and annual plan.
- Ensures the preconditions within which employees can give shape to their responsibilities.
- Monitors, analyses and evaluates the effects of activities, identifies bottlenecks in implementation and makes adjustments.
- Periodically reports on progress (in the form of management reports).
- Is in charge of budgeting and strategic decision making in collaboration with the organizational needs.
- Leads the team and conducts the interviews in the interview cycle.
- Focuses on connection, trust and development of employees and the team.
- Improving service by communicating and assisting students to understand guest needs.
- Providing guidance, feedback and individual coaching when needed for students and team members.
- Coaches students regarding work practices, practical assignments, research and/or the use of study materials, machines and instruments, amongst other things.
- Checks the students’ work and gives specific feedback.
- Uses tests/feedback to support and assess students in their learning process.
- Coaches the senior manager regarding work, educational questions, leadership questions and HR related tasks.
- Has strong affinity and applies 21st century skills.
- Maintains and expands internal and external networks.
- Maintains contacts with suppliers, requests quotes and conducts contract negotiations.
- Works in a management team and his own team on the common tasks.
- Participates in networks and projects inside and outside the organization and contributes to the transfer of knowledge and actively shares knowledge and experiences.
- Actively seeks feedback and feedforward for personal development.
As head of department your responsibilities are:
Overall Operations Management: You will be responsible for overseeing the daily operations of all food outlets under your purview. This includes ensuring smooth functioning, adherence to quality standards, and efficient service delivery.
Staff Management: You will be in charge of recruiting, training, and managing the staff working in the food outlets. This involves scheduling shifts, monitoring performance, providing feedback, and addressing any disciplinary issues that may arise.
Menu Planning and Development: Collaborate with chefs and culinary teams to create menus that align with customer preferences, dietary trends, and the organization's overall goals. Regularly reviewing and updating menus based on customer feedback and market research.
Quality Control and Food Safety: Ensuring adherence to strict quality control standards and food safety regulations is vital. You will implement and maintain hygiene protocols, monitor food handling procedures, conduct regular inspections, and address any issues promptly.
Customer Service and Satisfaction: You will oversee the implementation of customer service standards, handle customer feedback and complaints, and work towards continuously improving the overall customer experience.
Marketing and Promotions: Collaborating with the marketing team, to contribute to the development and execution of marketing campaigns and promotional activities. This includes social media engagement, loyalty programs, special events, and partnerships to attract and retain customers.
Performance Analysis and Reporting: Regularly analyzing key performance indicators (KPIs) such as sales figures, customer feedback, and operational metrics is essential. Prepare reports, identify areas for improvement, and develop strategies to enhance overall performance.
Compliance and Regulations: Staying updated with local and national regulations related to food safety, health standards, employment laws, and licensing requirements is crucial. Ensuring the food outlets operate in compliance with these regulations.
Knowledge and skills
- Broad theoretical knowledge in area of interest and understanding of organizational, process and subject matter coherence in broader context than own area of interest.
- Skilled in leadership.
- Advisory skills.
- Empowering everyone to provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent theoretical and practical knowledge in the educational field.
- Excellent knowledge of and insight into developments in the professional field.
- Skilled at instructing and motivating students.
- Skilled at planning and developing learning activities, methods, working practices and (practical) assignments.
- English Cambridge level C1.
- A bachelor degree – or the willingness to obtain one.
- An educational didactic endorsement – or willingness to obtain one.
As head of department you have contact:
- With management and staff on processes, procedures and service delivery in the department's area of focus to align.
- With Management Team to align daily operations with all departments.
- With lecturers regarding the coaching of students, for coordination purposes.
- With suppliers of materials regarding purchase and delivery in order to reach agreements.
Do you see yourself reflected in the qualities mentioned above? If so, you might be the perfect fit for our team as new head of department!
We would like to introduce ourselves:
NHL Stenden Hospitality Group: the flavour of your day!
A good cup of coffee to start the day, a tasty lunch in the restaurant or ending the day with a drink in the café. Without our guests noticing it, we flavour their day. It is about time we introduce ourselves. We are NHL Stenden Hospitality Group (NHG). Every day we make sure that the employees of our ten outlets are ready to serve you. From Notiz Hotel and Restaurant Wannee to the Espressobar and Café IF: we are your fuel for the day. We are also a pilot kitchen for our students, who gain practical experience in various departments at all our outlets. This is how we reap the benefits of NHL Stenden Hospitality Group together.
Are you enthusiastic and curious about what we have to offer you? Then take another minute to read more about this unique job below.
We offer you this:
A versatile and dynamic position in an organisation that is rapidly evolving and where there is a lot of focus on personal development and room for own initiative and ideas. Your gross salary will be, depending on your knowledge, experience and thus job level, salary range of € 3.018.49 - € 4.569.57 gross per month for a full-time job based on scale 10 of the compensation and benefits of NHG.
NHG also offers attractive terms and conditions including many opportunities in personal and career development, participation in collective health insurance and an employer vitality plan. Other conditions include a structural end of year bonus of 8.3%, paid parental leave, a bicycle scheme and travel compensation as well as other insurance schemes.
The contract is initially for the duration of 1 year but can be extended after successful completion of this period.
Does this vacancy appeal to you? Apply today! Send your motivation and CV (in 1 file) via the application button addressed to Human Resources Officer and stating the vacancy number 3151 NHG.