Lecturer Game Design/ Development
Instituut voor Communicatie, Media & IT
The Institute of Communication, Media & IT (CMI), as part of the Hanze University of Applied Sciences in Groningen, specialises in offering a wide range of multifaceted, innovative and internationally oriented bachelor programmes.
The international program Game Design & Development (GDD) is one of the three majors within the bachelor study Communication & Multimedia Design (CMD). Within our programme we train students in working with digital interactive products and become technology savvy creative professionals. Students are offered the principles of game design and game development using contemporary tools such as Unity and modern technology as for example Virtual Reality hardware like the HTC Vive. Through interactive workshops and real-world project cases, students learn how to analyse, design, develop, and evaluate (applied) games in a realistic and professional setting.
While focusing on the body of knowledge and body of skills related to game design and development, we have four integrated learning lines embedded in the curriculum: User Experience, 21st Century Skills, Design Research, and Innovation & Entrepreneurship. These learning lines are shared with Interactive Media & Technologies and Multimedia Concepting & Design, the other two major programs within CMD.
The research group User-Centered Design, linked to CMD, is concerned with integrating applied research into the topics relevant to the majors of Communication & Multimedia Design. The GDD program is closely linked to the research group, allowing new insights to be embedded into the curriculum and allowing students to work on relevant research and development cases.
An exciting new opportunity exists at the School of Communication, Media & IT for the position of Lecturer Game Design/ Development.
You will be employed at the School of Communication, Media & IT (CMI) at the bachelor study Communication & Multimedia Design. One of the programme managers of CMD will be your supervisor. You will also join the expert group Game Design/ Development. This expert group, led by the Senior Lecturer, is responsible for running the educational program.
As a lecturer, you take care of organising, conducting, and assessing relevant courses and projects within the major Game Design/ Development. You participate in designing, evaluating and improving the curriculum in cooperation with the other members of the expert group Game Design/ Development.
Additionally, you may be tasked with supervising students during their internships and graduation projects, or as their general mentor throughout their studies. Participating in innovative research projects may become part of your tasks, depending on preference, ability, and availability.
The lecturer Game Design/ Development is responsible for the following topics:
- Unity3D - learning game designers to use this game engine to create digital game prototypes;
- technical design - identifying technical requirements, object-oriented design (e.g. UML, class diagrams), writing a technical design document;
- basic programming/scripting - basic programming concepts and constructs, input handling, working with databases; working with various platforms (e.g. mobile, web-based, PC etc.);
- gameplay programming/scripting - object-oriented programming, game-specific algorithms (e.g. pathfinding, artificial intelligence); working with various languages and packages (e.g. HAXE,, C#, Unity3D, etc.);
- game production - organising the production process, production management, quality assurance; working with project management methods such as scrum.
We are seeking to appoint a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team. The successful candidate will have:
- an academic background with a Master's degree in a relevant field and several years of experience within the creative industry;
- a passion to inspire students and the ability to contribute to further our educational and professional vision;
- a pragmatic and pro-active approach and the flexibility to work within a young and dynamic multidisciplinary team;
- a modern, authentic and student-focused approach to teaching, coaching, and supervising students within the curriculum;
- an excellent proficiency in oral and written English as well as excellent intercultural communication skills.
Employment TermsThis is a lecturer position for 0.6 - 1.0 fte, starting as soon as possible. It concerns a one year, temporary contract which may be renewed. The appointment is subject to current cao-hbo guidelines. The function scale is 11. The salary will amount to a gross minimum of € 3,201.= and a gross maximum of € 4,661.= per month based on a full time position. A certificate of good conduct may be required. You will get reimbursement for the fee by the Hanze University. .
Further InformationShould you need further information regarding this vacancy, please contact drs. J.A. (Arjan) van Houwelingen, senior lecturer Game Design & Development through email Arjan van Houwelingen (please do not use this email address for your application) or drs. Henriët Eilander, programme manager CMD by phone on (+31) (0)6-25151594. Should you have any questions using the digital application form, please contact HR Recruitment, telephone number + 31 (0)50-595 7505. The interviews will probably take place in week 51.
Vacancy statusThis vacancy has an internal and semi-external status; this means that employees of Hanze University of Applied Sciences and organisations that are members of Noorderlink are treated as if they were internal employees. We do not appreciate acquisition in reference to this advertisement.
Reageer op deze vacature