Tenure Track Assistant Professor Rheology of hybrid (& supramolecular) materials
Faculty of Science and Engineering
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in the Engineering and Technology institute Groningen (ENTEG). ENTEG research focuses on fundamental and engineering research on the development of new and innovative processes and products for a wide range of product sectors.
We are looking for an Assistant Professor who can strengthen our position in the field of the rheology of hybrid (and supramolecular) materials with remarkable properties. A major objective is to develop structure-property relations by combined rheology and microscopy studies and to use this information to design and tailor the mechanical and other relevant properties of these materials. This knowledge will close the way towards the design of smart materials (e.g. rubber composites, self-healing materials) for a wide range of industrially relevant applications to meet current societal challenges (e.g. design for recycling).
As an Assistant Professor, you will:
● set up and develop your own research line and research group
● supervise PhD students
● acquire external funding
● promote the societal relevance of your research
● teach in and contribute to the development of the degree programme Mechanical engineering and to the degree programmes Chemical engineering
● contribute to the organisation of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management.
At the stage of Assistant Professor, 60% of your time is for research, 30% for teaching activities and 10% for organisational tasks.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a PhD degree in mechanical or chemical engineering or a related field; experience with polymeric products and multiphasic systems is highly desirable
● at least two years of postdoctoral experience outside of the Netherlands, preferably in a different country than where you received your PhD, and a relevant international network
● excellent research qualities, as shown by a publication record in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● a good track record in teaching, appropriate to your career stage
● demonstrable organisational competences
● cross-cultural sensitivity
● good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
● a team player with good communication skills
● able to acquire substantial research grants from external sources
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 84 months.We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary, depending on qualifications, work experience and your career stage, from a minimum of € 3,746 (salary scale 11) up to a maximum of € 5,826 gross per month (scale 12) for a full-time position
● a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% year-end bonus
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● a full-time position as Assistant Professor in our faculty’s tenure track system Career Paths in Science and the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a mentor programme and a broad range of opportunities for personal development
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
As an Assistant Professor, you will enter a tenure track that, if followed successfully, will lead to a Full Professorship in approximately 10 years. In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as an Associate Professor. After another 4 to 7 years you will be assessed for promotion to the position of Full Professor. Please consider Career Paths in Science for a complete description of our tenure track system as well as the criteria for promotion:
Do you want to become a member of our team? Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
• a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
• a curriculum vitae
• a list of five self-selected ‘best papers’, including a list of your publications and a list with names of references
• a statement of your teaching goals and experience
• a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You can submit your application until 7 January 11:59pm / before 8 January 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
We aim to schedule selection interviews in the first two weeks of February 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), http://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Francesco Picchioni, Professor and Chair Product Technology
+31 50 3634333
Prof. Hero Heeres, Scientific Director ENTEG
+31 50 3634174
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 220389
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:Report in which the position is described in more detail Engineering and Technology Institute Groningen Career Paths in Science