Assistant Professor Urban Design and Planning (1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Spatial Sciences
University of Groningen
The Department of Planning and Environment of the Faculty of Spatial Sciences at the University of Groningen (RUG) is looking for an Assistant Professor Urban Design and Planning.
The Faculty of Spatial Sciences consists of 95 members of staff and around a thousand students. We focus on high quality teaching and research in the fields of cultural geography, demography, economic geography, and spatial planning. Our research theme is 'towards Wellbeing, Innovation and Spatial Transformation' (tWIST). It is our mission to produce research which is world-leading, distinctive, and policy-relevant. With two Bachelor and eight Master programmes, we provide a wide range of courses within the field.
The Department of Planning and Environment contributes to the Bachelor programmes of Spatial Planning & Design and Human Geography & Planning, and is responsible for the Master programmes Environment & Infrastructure Planning and Socio-spatial Planning. The Department’s research is centered around institutional design for purposeful interventions within the human environment. We continuously renew our research and educational programmes, for example by incorporating innovative digital developments. We further aim to develop and improve our Centre for Advanced Studies in Urban Science and Design (CASUS).
As an Assistant Professor, you will contribute to teaching, research and co-ordination tasks. Your main teaching tasks will be in Bachelor and Master courses related urban and institutional design, and in supervising Master and/or Bachelor theses. Other teaching tasks relate to strengthening our interactive and transdisciplinary studio and atelier courses, building on your expertise. To strengthen our team, we are looking for a colleague with a keen interest in urban design approaches and techniques, and their meaning for institutional processes of planning and decision-making. The Assistant Professor will invest 60% of his/her time in teaching and management, and 40% in research (including PhD supervision).
The urban design studio and atelier courses reflect on the spatial dimension within the urban, as well as analyzing and evaluating the human environment in an integrated way. The courses are supportive to the institutional side of Spatial Planning. The position of assistant professor is meant to take a lead in developing the urban design studio and atelier environment, which includes the latest digital possibilities and virtual technologies. The position will as well connect the studio and atelier environment with a wide variety of spatial planning issues, including the more pressing ones, such as inner-city renewal programmes, climate change, multi-modal transport development and integrated urban transformation. Also a bridge has to be built with the latest institutional developments, such as multi-level governance, communicative action, community empowering and civil initiatives.
The Assistant Professor:
• has a PhD in the wider field of spatial planning, urban design, urbanism, landscape architecture, geography
• has an interest in, and has in depth knowledge about spatial design approaches and techniques, and it's meaning for institutional processes of planning and decision-making
• will develop and maintain design studio environment (atelier, laboratory, etc.) for research and education purposes
• has experience in various teaching approaches; awareness of and willingness to use the latest innovations in teaching techniques
• is in the possession of a university teaching qualification or is prepared to acquire this qualification within a reasonable timeframe
• will take a responsibility in one or more Faculty committees related to the educational programmes
• has publications in international peer-reviewed academic journals in the field of spatial design, spatial planning and urbanism
• will develop a research agenda which is in line with the Faculty and Department research focus and will supervise PhD students within this research focus
• contributes to profiling Departmental work on spatial design, development and innovation, and spatial planning and decision-making, also in collaboration with new and ongoing partnerships
• is fluent in English and Dutch or has the willingness to learn Dutch.
• conceptually capacity
• environmental orientation
• presenting skills
• result orientation.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 months.The University of Groningen offers a salary based on qualifications and experience between € 3,475 (scale 11 Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) and € 5,405 (scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position, plus 8% holiday allowance and an annual end-of-year bonus of 8.3%. For more detailed information about working conditions and working with the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The post will be established for a fixed term period of two years. Towards the end of that period there will be a result- and development interview in order to decide whether the appointment may be made permanent.
The University of Groningen is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive our full consideration. Nevertheless, as we are committed to building a diverse faculty, female applicants and international candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Starting date: between 1 June and 1 September 2018
The interviews will be held between half April and half May 2018.
You may apply for this position until 31 March 23:59 h/ before 1 April 2018 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications should include:
1. a motivation letter
2. a curriculum vitae including publications or other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas
3. email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Gert de Roo
Prof. Claudia Yamu
+31 50 3633895,
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 218083