Assistant Professor Economics (0.8 FTE)
Campus Fryslân is the newest faculty of the University of Groningen, located in Leeuwarden. The faculty is dedicated to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research. We conduct cutting-edge research where local themes are connected to global issues, with a focus on four research flagships: 1) Governance, 2) Sustainable Economy, 3) Language, Culture & Technology, 4) Food & Health. Technology related issues represent a fast-growing aspect of our research and education. You will work at a state-of-the-art facility at one of the oldest and most prestigious European universities, in the European Capital of Culture 2018.The Campus’ motivated team values teamwork and provides a stimulating working environment in which mutual support is combined with room for individual initiative. You will become a member of our high-standing academic and international community. We challenge our staff and students to approach issues from multiple disciplines and encourage them to take a different view. We are curious about yours!
Within Campus Fryslân, you will primarily be working at the University College Fryslân (UCF). UCF is a new university college, inspired by the UN Agenda for Sustainable Development. UCF offers a BSc in Global Responsibility & Leadership. This bachelor is a broad, scientifically rigorous, interdisciplinary programme with three majors (Responsible Governance, Responsible Humanity, and Responsible Planet). The programme has a strong emphasis on digital research and leadership development. Through small-scale and intensive education, you work together with ambitious student-researchers to help them acquire the knowledge and skills that are necessary to design solutions for global challenges and become change agents for sustainable development.
UCF invites applications for a motivated colleague at the level of Assistant Professor Economics. You are expected to contribute to the development of the educational and research domain of economics and sustainability, specifically with regard to courses such as Introduction to Economics and History of Economic Thinking. You have an excellent command of economic principles and theories and preferably an interest in behavioural economics. Furthermore, you will teach and develop courses in the major Responsible Governance within the BSc Global Responsibility & Leadership. You will have the unique opportunity to combine education with research and shape the emerging research programme. Finally, we are highly committed to building a diverse and dynamic academic community in Leeuwarden, and we expect a similar commitment from all our academic staff.
The candidate will:
• support the development of the major “Responsible Governance” and lead the development of the economics track, including teaching and curriculum development
• conduct research independently as well as together with student-researchers in his/her own domain of research as part of the UCF curriculum in so-called “living lab” projects
• contribute to the existing research lines, from advice to actual research and supervision of bachelor, master and PhD students
• acquire funding for new research activities and actively look for (international) partners to build consortia.
We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague with demonstrated research and teaching potential, a strong research background and a focus on behavioural economics.
The ideal candidate has:
• a PhD in economics or a comparable domain
• the demonstrated capacity to deliver research outcomes which are of interest both to science and to society
• the ability to conduct academic research as reflected in an established record of publications in leading scientific journals
• the willingness to apply an inter- and transdisciplinary perspective to research an education
• the capacity to teach bachelor students in small-scale settings and conduct research together with them in living lab settings in your own area of expertise
• an international and proactive outlook fitting to a new and dynamic organisation
• excellent command of the English language, including good communication skills; Dutch language abilities would be an asset
• a University Teaching Qualification, or the willingness to acquire this qualification within two years after the starting date.
Conditions of employment
Contract length: 24 maanden.The University of Groningen offers depending on qualifications and experience a minimum salary of € 3,475 (scale 11) up to a maximum salary of € 5,405 (scale 12) gross a month on a full-time basis (Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities). After one year, there is the possibility of extending the appointment of 0.8 FTE to a full-time position, depending on evaluation and size of the student body. The post will be established for a fixed term period of two years. Towards the end of that period there will be a result- and development interview in order to decide whether the appointment may be made permanent.
Interviews will take place in week 12 and week 13 of 2018. The interview will consist of two parts: the interview (30 minutes) and the mock lecture (15 minutes) during which you will demonstrate your knowledge of the research domain and showcase your teaching capabilities. The University of Groningen/Campus Fryslân is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive our full consideration. Nevertheless, as we are committed to building a diverse faculty, female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
You may apply for this position until 28 February 23:59 h/ before 1 March 2018 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications should include:
1. A motivation letter
2. A curriculum vitae including publications or other research output clearly showing your expertise in relevant areas
3. Email and telephone contact information of at least two referees.
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into consideration.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For additional information, please contact:
Prof. Andrej Zwitter, Dean UCF
In your application, please always include the job opening ID 218042
Extra informatie kan worden verkregen via een van de volgende links:University College Fryslân Campus Fryslân