Lecturer Game Design/ Development
Instituut voor Communicatie, Media & IT
The Institute of Communication, Media & IT (CMI), as part of the Hanze University of Applied Sciences in Groningen, specialises in offering a wide range of multifaceted, innovative and internationally oriented bachelor programmes.
The international program Game Design Development (GD) is one of the three majors within the bachelor study Communication & Multimedia Design (CMD). Within GD, we train students to become professional game designers and game developers in the international creative industry. Through interactive workshops and real-world project cases, students learn how to analyse, design, develop and evaluate both serious games and entertainment games in a realistic and professional setting.
Students experience different aspects of the professional field of CMD in the first year, whereas the main phase focuses on the knowledge and body of skills related to game design and development. The other two majors we offer are Interacton Design and Visual Design.
The research group User-Centered Design, linked to CMD, is concerned with integrating applied research into the topics relevant to the majors of Communication & Multimedia Design. The CMD program is closely linked to the research group, allowing new insights to be embedded into the curriculum and allowing students to work on relevant research and development cases.
You will be employed at the School of Communication, Media & IT at the bachelor study CMD. One of the programme managers of CMD will be your supervisor.
As a lecturer you take care of organising, conducting, and assessing relevant courses and projects within the CMD programme, and especially within the major GD. You participate in designing, evaluating and improving the curriculum in cooperation with the other members of the team.
Additionally, you may be tasked with supervising students during their internships and graduation projects, or as their general mentor throughout their studies. Participating in innovative research projects may become part of your tasks, depending on preference, ability and availability.
As a lecturer Game Design you will be responsible for the following topics:
- basic programming/ scripting – basic programming concepts and constructs, input handling, working with databases; working with various platforms (e.g. mobile, web-based, PC, etc.);
- gameplay programming/ scripting – object-oriented programming, game-specific algorithms (e.g. pathfinding, artificial intelligence); working with various languages and packages (e.g. HAXE,, C#, Unity3D, etc.);
- game production – organising the production process, production management, quality assurance; working with project management methods such as scrum.
We are seeking to appoint a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our team. The successful candidate will have:
- an academic background (preferably) with a master’s degree in a relevant field;
- knowledge of actual developments in the field of game design/ development;
- several years of experience within the creative industry;
- a relevant and active professional network;
- a passion to inspire students and the ability to contribute to further our educational and professional vision;
- a pragmatic and pro-active approach and the flexibility to work within a young and dynamic multidisciplinary team;
- a modern, authentic and student-focused approach to teaching, coaching, and supervising students within the curriculum;
- an excellent proficiency in oral and written English as well as excellent intercultural communication skills.
Employment TermsThis is a lecturer (docent) position for 0.6 – 1.0 fte, starting 1 February 2018. It concerns a one year, temporary contract which may be renewed. Another option is a secondment from your current employer, the exact possibilities can be discussed in a later stage. The appointment is subject to current cao-hbo guidelines. The function scale is 11. The salary will amount to a gross minimum of € 3,201.- and a gross maximum of € 4,661.- per month based on a full time position. Hanze UAS offers an attractive package of secondary terms of employment, e.g. an end-of-year bonus. Hanze UAS stimulates employees to professionalize constantly. A certificate of good conduct may be required. You will get reimbursement for the fee by the Hanze University. .
Further InformationShould you need further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Henriët Eilander, programme manager CMD, telephone number (+31) (0)6-25151594. Should you have any questions using the digital application form, please contact HR Recruitment, telephone number + 31 (0)50-595 7505. The interviews will take place on Monday 18 December and Wednesday 20 December 2017.
Vacancy statusThis vacancy is internal and external published; this means that employees of Hanze University of Applied Sciences are preferred over external candidates. We do not appreciate acquisition in reference to this advertisement.
Reageer op deze vacature